Open Gardens in aid of the British Red Cross 2016
Belcombe Court is a house and estate with over 55 acres of parkland and five acres of formal gardens, dating back to dating back to the 15th Century. It was much altered in the Palladian style by John Wood, the Elder in 1734, and more recently under the instruction of the current owners. The parkland and formal gardens contain numerous buildings, including a dovecote, medieval-style barn, temples, shell grotto and a cave like tufa grotto by the formal pond. The rustic “folly cottage” in the parkland hides a new hen enclosure and Hebridean sheep may be seen grazing nearby in the manner of Stourhead and other great estates. The woods contain several tufa arches. The Walled gardens were designed by Chelsea Flower Show winner Arne Maynard and incorporate cloud-pruned box and yew hedging and six wave-like grass terraces. The Summer House garden, by Robert Goldby, has standard wisteria trees over mass plantings of alliums and hydrangea.
Beyond the Walled garden is the new cutting flower garden with mass plantings of Peonies both herbaceous and intersectional, Delphiniums from Blackmore & Langdon and the very new edible flower and vegetable garden. There will be specialist plant stalls, and other garden related stalls, live music to listen to and various delicious food stalls around the garden and in the barn.
Please Note: some parts of the garden are suitable for wheelchairs but access is not easy as there are gravel drives and paths.
22 May 2016
Children: children under 12 free
Belcombe Court is 5 minutes from Bradford on Avon town centre. From the railway station follow the A363 left towards the town. Over the town bridge take the first left into Market street and up the hill. Turn left into Newtown and continue on into Belcombe Road.
(Or it's a hilly 15-minute walk from the railway station through the pretty back streets and past the beautiful Anglo Saxon chapel)..
Mr and Mrs Weiland