Mr and Mrs Colin Wilkins moved into Lydeard House in 1999 and began a major restoration programme in the four-acre garden over more than a decade. The silted-up lake was dredged revealing the 18th century retaining walls complemented by the two bridges; a silt trap was built, incorporated in the dredged canal, and the adjoining pergola was restored with new planting of Victorian roses. A small woodland garden was cleared, followed by a walled veg garden, a Chinoiserie garden inspired by a reference in 1788 to a Chinese Gate in the grounds, and the Temple Folly. There are sweeping lawns and fine mature trees, the lake is overhung with willows, and nearer the house (not open) a box parterre.
Open for the NGS: Sunday 21st June, 2pm-5.30pm. Admission: £4, children free. Home-made teas, plants for sale from local nursery. Children must be supervised because of very deep water. Disability information: Deep gravel paths and steps may cause difficulty but most features accessible by lawn.